Episode037: When your podcast becomes a therapy session
Welcome back! September means (somewhat) cooler weather AND Jason’s birthday. We celebrated in 2 ways… 1. Submitting all of our paper work for our visa renewals! We are hopping to get a 2 year visa. 2. We enjoyed the last days of summer, sun, beach, and the sea on a boat tour with friends! We talk about both on the podcast.
Also, we celebrate our ‘official’ 1 year in Turkey! Jason and Catie reveal to each other their top 3 things they learned this last year. The conversation was a tough one as we talk about stresses of moving abroad and what that looks like for our marriage and relationships with others. Main areas we discuss are intentionality vs. passivity, language, and friends.
And don’t worry! We will get to our SEAsia tour that we took in July with our friends, Eric and Ashley.
Some of our favorite quotes:The stress of moving to a foreign country...not understanding the culture...difficulty of language,… Click To Tweet The short version is: you want to do everything, and I want to do nothing. - Jason Click To Tweet The stress of my doing everything probably causes you to not want to do anything. - Catie Click To Tweet I caused a lot of my own struggles with my identity... Being a believer in Jesus Christ, my… Click To Tweet I learned how to avoid situations that would force me to learn language, which was not a good… Click To Tweet Friendships take a while to become meaningful. - Jason Click To Tweet The lack of effort needed for daily life (in another culture) can now turn into for building… Click To Tweet People who have lived here many years have more energy to give to relationships because they have… Click To Tweet
Catie’s first print article – Reminiscing Romantic Romania
EXPAT YEARS SERIES: 3 part series sharing what we learned in our first year abroad – check below for individual links
Questions for the listeners:
- Are you an expat living overseas? Where do you live?
- Have you taken a recent trip that has change you? How did you adjust to going back ‘home?
- Have you lived in another area other than ‘home’? What did you learn from living in this new place?
As always, email us your questions and we will answer them in future episode!
Like this podcast episode?! Share it!
Recent Blog Posts:
Recent Series: EXPAT YEARS
Stay tune for upcoming articles:
TRAVEL: Why you should use Local Guddy next time you travel
EXPAT: Going Home Series
- The Going Home Series is all about how you can have the best visit back ‘home’. Catie covers both side of the spectrum to help both those in the native country and those living abroad have an easier time reconnecting and supporting each other.
- If you are an expat going back to your native country, this is for you!
- If you are someone who will be visiting returning expats, this is for you too!
If you are just now joining in:
We are on iTunes!
POP OVER TO LEAVE US A REVIEW ON ITUNES. This helps others find our podcast!